Peaches are right up there with pineapple as a great fruit to grill for dessert. I also think they work well with the taste of some good small batch bourbon, cinnamon and the sweetness of maple syrup. So here’s a quick and easy dessert suggestion that lets you exploit the rest of the heat from the charcoal after grilling dinner for your guests. This recipe will serve 8 people. Grill’em up and serve with vanilla ice cream on the side.
What you need:
A box of quality vanilla ice cream
0.5 cup of good bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve and it worked great)
A couple cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp ground chili flakes
0.5 cup of 100% natural maple syrup (if it says breakfast, maple flavoured syrup or anything really but 100% natural maple syrup, steer clear of it, it will be cheap corn syrup with artificial flavouring…)
- Put 0.5 cup of good bourbon, 0.5 cup of maple syrup, 2 cinnamon sticks and 1 tbsp freshly ground chili flakes in a saucepan
- Heat it slowly and let it simmer 10-15 minutes to reduce and get rid of some of the alcohol (so you won’t set fire to your grill)
- Slice your peaches in half and take the pits out. Brush the flesh side with some of your glaze, and grill them over medium-low direct heat flesh side down to get some nice grill marks, turning 45 degrees at “halftime”
- Flip the peaches, brush liberally with your glaze on the flesh side, grill another 10-15 minutes over indirect heat
- Serve, with vanilla ice cream. Any leftover glaze can be used as a sauce.