ABT’s are great as an appetizer or side dish if you’re cooking something low & slow and have some extra space on your grill. Why they’re called atomic bomb turds, I do not know. It’s kind of a weird name for a food item, but there ya go. That’s what it means. You can use all kinds of stuff to put into the chillies, but in this recipe I went for a simple filling with some vegetables, cream cheese and hot chorizo sausage. I also used some good pancetta instead of the traditional bacon to wrap them, but you can use either, and it will be fantastically good. The union of hot chillies, bacon and tons of apple smoke is a tasty one indeed. Just make sure you make enough of them, I’d say 3-4 per person as a minimum for a starter.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Time on the grill: 90-120 minutes
Grilling method: Indirect, with smoke
Grilling temperature: 130 Centigrade lid temp (266F)
What you need:
5 Largish peppers of your choosing. I found some large chillies at my local market
10 strips of good bacon or pancetta
Some cream cheese, I used Philadelphia with much success
A little bit of hot chorizo sausage
A little yellow onion
One green pepper
Some toothpicks (not the ones with mint flavor…)
How you do it:
- Slice your chillies lengthwise, and deseed them
- Mix cream cheese with some finely chopped mushroom, green pepper and onion. You can use almost anything in here, I’m sure shrimp or crab meat would be good, different cheeses, have fun with it and experiment
- Spread a thick layer of the cheese mix in each chilli half
- Wrap each chilli half in bacon or pancetta, use toothpicks to secure the bacon if it doesn’t work out without them
- Put them on the indirect side of your grill and smoke them using apple or cherry wood for 90-120 minutes
- Enjoy, and watch out for any heart attack symptoms
Tried this today on my brand spanking new BBQ!
It is now one of my fav thing to do with a veggie on the BBQ! Absolutely amazing!
Very glad to hear it!